Stroke is known as a neurological disease that affects the brain due to interrupted brain blood supply. In Singapore itself, there are about 8849 stroke incidents reported, an increase from the number of incidences in 2010 at 5890.
Stroke rehabilitation is key in post-stroke recovery, as it is the quickest and non-invasive intervention as time is essential for post-stroke recovery.
There are several implications of stroke:
- Weakness in upper and lower limbs of affected side
- Mobility and ability to perform Basic Activities of Daily Living (BADL)
- Difficulty to swallow
- Cognitive difficulties such as poor attention, memory and/or reasoning
- Emotional changes such as anger, anxiety, or depression
- Behavioural and personality changes
Other complications may include:
- Contracture of muscles or joints
- Muscle spasticity
- Pressure sores
The good news is rehabilitation can improve the impacts and complications of stroke!
Find out more about Occupational Therapy for Neurological Conditions here!
Book Now! or contact us for further enquiries.
Promotion: First consultation is FREE!